How could we get away from talking about this phenom? My daughter lives to play this game. I had tried and tried but just "don't get it" like she does. She will spend hours - probably days - if she was given free range! She might even forget to eat! But when she was a struggling reader and I had tried everything to get her skills to improve guess what came to the rescue? YES, that's right Minecraft!

She had to figure it out. I gave her guidance and was there to help her find her footing but she figured out how to read everything she could need. Now she even writes books for her "library" in her town. It is really a surprising and amazing tool that we have incorporated into our learning. Plus during this past few months it has taken her math skills to a new level. She is graphing, figuring out money, adding and a ton of other applications.
She has garnered team building and taking charge of a group just from this (ahem) silly game. Just go to Bing or Google and do a search for Minecraft images and see some of the creations that are being made! It truly is amazing to see what is in their imaginations take form.

She even now has her father playing on Xbox One with her and a group of friends from across the pond in England. And that is another plus - using the Xbox she is making friends across the world. Learning about other places and cultures and sharing about our world here in the USA!
I was a reluctant parent at first but I have seen first hand what this game can do to help a struggling child improve.
Here is a link to an article about just such a topic!
Minecraft - What is it Doing to your kids?
No comments:
Post a Comment